Green Home Grants

As you may be aware. the Government has recently provided some details on the grants scheme that will start in September to make homes more energy efficient. There is £2bn of funding being put into this scheme which also aims to create 100,000 new jobs.

Who can get a grant?

Grants are available to:

Owner Occupiers (including long leaseholders and shared ownerships)

Private Landlords of domestic properties

Landlords of social sector domestic properties (including LA owned homes)

Park Home owners (for residential sites including traveller sites)

(Grants are not available for new build homes or non-domestic properties)

What measures can you get a grant for?

To qualify you must install at least one ‘primary measure’, which are:

Solid Wall Insulation

Cavity Wall Insulation

Underfloor Insulation

Loft Insulation

Flat Roof Insulation

Room in Roof Insulation

Insulation of Park Homes

Air Source Heat Pump

Ground Source Heat Pump

Solar Thermal

If you install one of these you will also be allowed to claim the same amount of grant for a “secondary measure” which are:

Draught proofing

Replacement of single glazed windows

Secondary glazing to single glazed windows

Replacing doors installed prior to 2002

Heating controls (including smart controls, TRVs, zone controls and tank thermostats)

Hot Water tank insulation

The maximum amount you can claim for a secondary measure can be no more than you claim for a primary measure.

How much can you claim?

You can claim up to £5,000 in grants which can be used to fund up to 2/3rds of the cost of the works. So in effect you can undertake £7,500 of works, get a grant for £5,000 and only pay £2,500.

If the household is on a low income then they can claim a grant of up to a maximum of £10,000 for 100% of the measures. Households qualify for the low-income scheme if they receive at least one of the following:

– Income based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)

– Income based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

– Income Support (IS)

– Pension Guarantee Credit

– Working Tax Credit (WTC)

– Child Tax Credit (CTC)

– Universal Credit (UC)

– Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

– Personal Independence Allowance (PIP)

– Attendance Allowance

– Carer’s Allowance

– Severe Disabilities Allowance

– Industrial Injuries Disability Benefit

– Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)

– Contribution bases Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

– Housing Benefit


Full details are due to be released of how to claim in September and it is hoped to be relatively straightforward.  The scheme is likely to be oversubscribed, so it would be beneficial to be prepared to make your grant application as soon as you can.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s